Friday, September 21, 2007

Concession Work

Ok, if you ever have a child in sports and someone says, "Hey, would you like to be in charge of concessions?", run away and never look back. I stupidly let Matt talk me into becoming the VP of Concession for the Touchdown Club at his High School. No one else wanted the job, it was open for over six months - you'd think that would have been the only red flag I needed to turn it down. But I also incorrectly thought it might give him an edge on the team if I was on the Board. That so is not the case!

So I asked if running the concession was a lot of physical labor. I have issues with my back but the President assured me all they needed was some organization. So I took the thankless volunteer position.

Since that time I've organized myself into a lot of physical labor. Yes, so far I've stocked over 200 cases of soda into coolers. I've been shopping at Sam's Club every week since the games began and spent well over several thousand dollars in supplies. Then you have to bring all that to the concession, get it unloaded and stored. Arrange for workers, cooks and ensure someone remembers to bring you the cash box each week so you can make change. Then of course after each game you have to clean and restock, reshop, count money and prepare to do it all again the next week.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you also get to sweat - A LOT. I've even gotten my eyelashes to sweat. Stop by some Friday night, I'm happy to share the experience with any and all volunteers.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

You've left out the most important part! (no, not the fact that you're building memories, getting to know more people, blah, blah blah...) Do you get free hot dogs, and hot chocolate in the winter? That's my favorite part of high school football - the hot chocolate at the game. Sad, really. But very true.

Anonymous said...

Ok, the thought of your eyelashes sweating actually made me throw up in my mouth a bit! No wonder your back is always hurting...STOP THAT, your nurse says STOP!!!