Monday, March 31, 2008

Locked Out

Andrew had a make up soccer game tonight. It was a make up for one which was rained out - but we need the rain so I wasn't upset. We played Saturday and at halftime it started pouring and Matt and I were soaked since we only had one umbrella between us, he ended up using his chair to cover his head. My friend, Anne-Marie was there getting soaked as well. Both our purses were drenched and the game was finally called before the start of the 4th quarter.

So when I was at Andrew's game tonight and felt the first of the raindrops I told Matt I was headed to the car and would wait it out there. No way I wanted to be soaked again, nor have my purse dripping wet. Well, it never really started to rain hard and about the second quarter it stopped even misting so I left my purse in the car, grabbed my phone and keys and locked the car and returned to the sidelines to watch the remainder of the game.

It was my turn to bring snack and Andrew already had the cooler with drinks but I had left the chips in the car in case of the aforementioned rain. So towards the end of the 4th quarter Matt went to get the chips. When he returned I asked for my keys and he said he didn't have them. I told him to stop joking but he really didn't have them, they were in the car, the LOCKED car. He asked sarcastically if I had a spare...so I answered sarcastically that yes it do, it's in my purse in the LOCKED card. Then my sarcasm turned to anger and I said other things, which I won't print here.

I called my mom to get the number for a locksmith. She offered to come get me to take me home to get the spare, but the spare is in my purse in the LOCKED car. And the keys to my house are in the LOCKED car. She said she'd take to me to a Honda dealership and have them get me another key...except that my proof of ownership is in the LOCKED car, along with my house keys to show any other proof of ownership and all my money. So she finally gave me a number, I called and they wanted $35 for the service call and then $195 for the labor. Yikes, never mind.

So I called the Norcross Police, they won't do it. I called my friend Tina, her husband is a Sheriff's Deputy with Gwinnett County. She didn't answer. So I called my friend Cindy, whom I hoped would know someone in Norcross who could boost a car. I was totally willing to pay a criminal $20 to break into my car. Anyway, she got Tina who got her husband and finally luck was on my side. He was in Norcross serving warrants, so he and another officer came over. But neither had tools. However, he called a wrecker service for me and they charged me $55 which was way cheaper than the locksmith.

So, about an hour and a half after the game ended, we finally got back into our car. It's no fun being locked out. The good news, Andrew's team won the game 4-0. And yes, I have apologized to Matt.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Ok, so then we can go together to Walmart to make even MORE spare keys. There's a recent story as in MONDAY that involves my husband and my son and one of them was temporarily locked out of the house. I was an hour away at work.

Everything was fine within minutes, but I'm still sick to my stomach thinking about it...

~Kim~ said...

Mental note....original keys and spare keys should not be in the same place. Also, AAA is worth the money! You should have called me, I would have come over ther and used my card and saved you $55!